How to Clean an Induction Cooktop
Induction cooktops are a truly revolutionary type of cooktop that have made cooking much faster and easier. Forget about waiting 10 minutes for a liter of water to boil, because these things can bring a full gallon to a boil in a couple minutes or less.
There’s also the fact that induction cooktops are about as energy efficient as possible, which helps you save money in both the long and short term. Now, just like all other cooktops, induction cooktops will eventually need to be cleaned. How you clean an induction cooktop is what we are here to discuss.
Checkout our honest Nuwave Induction Cooktop Review here
Cleaning an Induction Cooktop
Many people find that cleaning an induction cooktop is much easier than other types of stoves, mainly because only the pot or pan gets heated up, with the rest of the cooktop staying cool, thus preventing too much food and liquid from burning and getting stuck on. This is a big benefit.
However, on the other hand, induction cooktops are made with a glass ceramic surface. This surface is not resistant to abrasion and can very easily be scratched. Therefore, when you go to clean an induction cooktop, you do need to be very careful, and this means using the right cleaning liquids and the right materials.
Use the wrong liquid or a harsh scrubber and you will end up scratching the life right out of that beautiful induction cooktop. Let’s talk about how to clean that induction cooktop to get it looking like brand new, all without causing any damage to it.
Things to Avoid Using on an Induction Cooktop
There are a number of things that should never be used to clean an induction cooktop. Below is a list of items that should never go anywhere near an induction cooktop, or else you will irreparably damage it.
- Coarse sponges
- Steel wool
- Abrasive cloth
- Anything sharp
- Any chlorine based cleaner
- Flammable materials/liquids
Basic Cleaning of Induction Cooktop
If you are just tidying up and cleaning up a bit of spilled water and food, you should have no problems getting that induction cooktop to sparkle. Let’s go over a quick step-by-step tutorial on how to clean an induction cooktop the easy way.
- Wait for the induction cooktop to cool down completely. Although the surface does not get overly hot, it will still get hot enough to burn you upon direct contact.
- Use a non-abrasive cloth or sponge, something very soft that won’t scratch your induction cooktop. Wet the sponge or cloth with some warm water and gently wipe down the cooktop.
- Try to always wipe off food and liquid before it hardens, as it will be much harder to clean off once hard. This might take a couple minutes to remove all debris, as you just cannot use anything coarse, but taking a few minutes more to clean an induction cooktop is worth it if you don’t end up damaging it.
- Once the food and liquid residue has been removed, use a wet paper towel to wipe away any remaining particles.
- Now you can use a special glass or ceramic cooktop cleaner and rub it around using a paper towel. Follow this up by using a dry cloth or dry paper towel to remove the cooktop cleaner.
Heavy Cleaning of an Induction Cooktop
If there is food stuck on the induction cooktop or there is hard water residue caked on the surface, you will need to take some additional steps. Remember that even though food is stuck on, you cannot use anything coarse or abrasive for these sensitive ceramic cooktops.
Use hot water and vinegar, combined with a non-abrasive towel or sponge, to wipe off as much residue as you can without scrubbing. You can cover the cooktop with a good amount of hot water and vinegar, and let it soak for a couple of minutes, and then wipe it off again. This will help get rid of any easy-to-remove residue.
Now, for the really stuck-on food residue, use that specialized cooktop cleaner in combination with a special ceramic or glass cooktop cleaning pad. These are pads specially designed to remove stuck-on foods, hard water deposits, grease, and other forms of residue, all without causing damage to the induction cooktop’s sensitive surface.
Although it may take a while to fully remove stuck on food and residue, even with the specialized pad, don’t apply too much pressure, because even this can still cause damage.
Once all stuck on food has been loosened, you can then use a damp cloth or paper towel to wipe everything away. Follow this up with a second round of wiping with a wet cloth or paper towel, and then finish it off by wiping it dry with a dry cloth.
When all has been said and done, cleaning an induction cooktop is not rocket science. Yes, these things come with some major benefits — induction cooktops heat up fast and they can bring anything to a boil in record time, not to mention that they are very energy-efficient.
All that said, they are not the easiest to clean, at least not without damaging them. However, with some good ceramic stovetop cleaner, a specialized cleaning pad, some water, and a bit of patience, it is doable. Just be patient!
- This heavy-duty, non-abrasive cooktop cleaner removes grease, grime, and stains on all smooth cooktop / stovetop ranges, including glass, ceramic, induction, radiant, convection, and halogen without scratching and maintains shine
- Just apply a quarter-sized amount directly to cool cooktop, rub with the included cleaning pad or a dry paper towel, buff surface and wipe clean; for burnt on food use single-edge razor blade Cerama Bryte scraper tool
- This household essential kitchen cleaner is recommended for GE, Electrolux, Amana, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, Hotpoint, Kenmore, Admiral, Maytag, Tappan, Viking and any other smooth cook top or stove top
- The Cerama Bryte Cooktop Cleaning Kit 4 Piece includes: 10 oz Cooktop Cleaner, POW-R Grip Pad Tool, Scraper, and 1 Cleaning Pad perfect for daily cooktop cleaning
- Cerama Bryte Cooktop Cleaner contains no phosphates, dimethicone, or silicone and is Made in the USA
- MAKE ADJUSTMENTS ON-THE-FLY – Want hotter temperature or need to cook it longer? No problem. Simply adjust on-the-fly any time. No need to start over. Double’s intuitive digital controls are easy to operate, and the response is immediate.
- 96 PRE-PROGRAMMED TEMPS - Select from the 6 convenient preset temperature settings or fine tune your own temperature from 100°F to 575°F in 5°F increments. You can also add or deduct cooking time at any time.
- PRECISE TEMPERATURE CONTROL – With 94 precise temperatures at your fingertips, you can keep delicate sauces warm at 100°F to grilling a juicy steak with serious grill marks at 575°F.
- DOUBLE THE POWER – With two induction cooking surfaces in the same unit, Double gives you the convenience of a traditional stovetop with the portability and precision high-tech device. Now you can make complete meals all at once without compromise.
- INDEPENDENT CONTROLS - With two control panels, you can independently adjust the settings on each side. With large 8” heating coils and weight capacity of 25 pounds per side, you can boil pasta on one side and simmer sauces on the other.
- Reveal - Non-abrasive cooktop pads help easily remove heavily burned on foods, grease & grime.
- Revitalize - Micro-Bead Technology gives scrubbing power & leaves a brilliant shine without scratching
- Shines - Dramatically cleans, shines and protects glass/ceramic/induction smooth top ranges.
- Safe - Leave a streak-free shine while removing splattered food, dirt, oily residue & watermarks.
- Use On - All major glass/ceramic cooktop manufactures including GE, Whirlpool, Frigidaire & Thermador
- PORTABLE INDUCTION BURNER: Duxtop professional countertop burner uses 120V 15 amp electrical outlet–standard in all North American homes. ETL listed and built to North American electrical standards. Lightweight, portable induction cooktop makes handling and storage easy.
- HIGH EFFICIENCY: Choose from 20 preset power levels (100W to 1800W) and 20 preset temperature level settings (100°F to 460°F). With an 83% energy efficiency rating, induction cooker is more efficient than traditional gas or electric stoves yet provides quick heat-up and faster cooking times.
- SENSOR TOUCH PANEL WITH LCD SCREEN: The sensor touch panel is sensitive to touch and easy to operate. The angle control panel features a large LCD readout display screen, providing easy viewing, even from a distance.
- DURABLE & EASY TO CLEAN: The stainless steel construction ensures durability and reliability. Equipped with a 7-blade fan and back tuyere to rapidly dissipate heat. With no open flame or heating element, food does not burn-on the glass cooktop so it's easy to clean—just wipe with a damp towel.
- 100% SATISFACTION: induction stoves rely on the cookware itself to heat, so it’s essential to choose magnetic bottom cookware with a minimum diameter of 5 inches. Please allow the induction hot plate to cool down before cleaning. Manufactured for reliable and durable performance in commercial and professional settings such as restaurants, industrial kitchens and other catering services.
My stove will not go on after cleaning it. Please advise.Reply