Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive?
A popular question we get asked is “Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive Than a Freestanding Stove”?
Whether you’ve brought a brand new house or it’s just time to update your tired kitchen, there is a whole range of considerations you need to take into account to create the space that’s just right for you.
One major factor to consider is the type of range you need.
Should you go for a freestanding range, drop in range or slide-in range?
Why are slide in ranges more expensive than a freestanding model?
To answer this question, it’s worth getting to grips with the differences between these types of ranges first.
In that way, you can make a well-informed decision on what you want and need for your kitchen.
What Is a Freestanding Range?
When you picture a typical range, the likelihood is that you see a freestanding range.
These types of stoves are found in most kitchens and feature two finished sides, so they can easily be installed between your cabinets, at the end of your counter, or simply standing on their own.
They also come with a built-in backsplash to protect your walls with the stove controls on the back.
What Is a Slide-in Range?
Slide-in ranges are carefully designed to sit flush between your cabinets and don’t feature a backsplash.
Because they’re meant to be in the middle of your countertop, they don’t have finished sides, so they won’t look good standing alone or at the edge of your counter.
The controls for this type of range are typically on the front or top, which means that you don’t need to worry about reaching over your hot stove to adjust the settings.
They are also slightly wider at the top, designed to overlap your countertop and make clean-up easy since you don’t need to worry about food spilling down the gap between your range and the counter.
What is the difference between slide in and freestanding ranges?
In terms of functionality, there are few differences between slide-in and freestanding ranges to influence your decision. When deciding between a slide in range vs freestanding, you must consider the need, kitchen layout, and fuel source.
Both types have options for gas, electric, dual-fuel, and induction configurations, so no matter how you prefer to cook, you should be able to find a range suitable for you.
They also usually have similar features and installations, and two of the different types of ranges of the same size should offer a similar amount of oven space, number of hobs, and a variety of available settings to allow you to cook delicious dishes regardless of which option you choose.
Benefits of Using a Slide-in Range
The main benefit of a slide-in range that most people consider is the stylish, smooth integration of the range in between your cabinets, making it a sleek addition to any kitchen.
The removal of often bulky backsplashes also allows you to showcase your own unique backsplash and keeps your kitchen looking its best.
This also means that you have quite a bit of freedom in the placement of your slide-in range.
As long as it’s in the middle of your cabinets, then it’s good to go; it doesn’t necessarily need to be placed against a wall to look great.
If you want a range to sit nicely in the middle of your kitchen island, for example, a slide-in is the only way to go.
The other main benefit is the sophisticated design of the slide-in that makes clean-up simple.
With a slightly wider top, the slide-in range is designed to overlap your countertops so that you can simply wipe away any mess the same way you would with the rest of your counters.
This doesn’t just make things easier for you but also helps you avoid any nasty smells from food that’s fallen down gaps and been forgotten about.
What’s more, the controls on a slide-in range are much more easily accessible, without the need to reach over your hob to turn anything up, down, or off.
With all your controls easily placed by the front of your stove, you’ll find quickly changing settings far easier than with a conventional freestanding range.
That said, some people do express concerns over the placement of the controls on a slide-in range, questioning whether they’re safe for children, particularly on stoves with the knobs on the front of the range.
In answer to this, slide-in ranges undergo strict safety tests to ensure any controls are totally safe for all users and won’t switch on when someone simply brushes past.
They’re also much safer for general use, as by having the controls at the front of the range rather than the back, you won’t need to lean over any hot parts when cooking.
Benefits of Using a Freestanding Range
Although there are many benefits of getting a slide-in range, it’s certainly not to say freestanding ranges aren’t without their positives!
One big benefit to a freestanding range over the slide-in is location.
While a slide-in is designed to fit seamlessly into the middle of your kitchen counters, a freestanding gives you almost total freedom as to where you want to place it, thanks to having two finished sides.
This means that you could put it at the end of your bench, in the middle of your countertops, or have it totally free standing away from your other cabinets.
The only place a freestanding range isn’t ideal for is in a kitchen island due to the integrated splashback, which means it’s best placed against a wall.
This brings us nicely onto the second benefit of a freestanding range: the splashback.
Although an inbuilt splashback might not be the sleekest of designs, having this as part of your range can save stress, especially if your kitchen is not designed with heat, water, and general mess-proof walls, and you don’t want the hassle of installing tiles behind your stove.
Finally, a freestanding range is also often easier to install, as most come with a nice and easy plug-and-go ability.
With one, you simply need to choose where to put it, plug it in, and you’ll be cooking away.
They’re also generally around 10% to 15% cheaper than a slide-in range, which is one of the major reasons they’re so much more popular in most standard kitchens.
Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive Than a Freestanding Stove?
So, both ranges clearly offer a lot to different types of kitchen, and based on the features alone, you probably have an idea of which type would be right for you, but why are slide in ranges more expensive?
As mentioned, slide-in ranges can be up to 15% more expensive than a freestanding model with the same specs.
There are a few reasons for this, but the biggest one comes down to engineering.
Placing the electronics and controls immediately above or in front of the oven, rather than above and behind, means that additional complexity and care was needed during the design and engineering stage to keep these electronics cool.
This naturally takes more time and precision, which adds on to the price and value of this type of range.
Supply and demand also come into establishing why slide-in ranges are more expensive than freestanding.
The sleeker look often appeals to those on a bigger budget, which means that slide-in ranges are, to an extent, priced higher by those who are willing to pay extra for a nicer finish.
The popularity of freestanding ranges also means that the parts and engineering of these types of ranges can be sourced much more cheaply, with the savings going on to the consumer.
Should the slide-in range increase in popularity even more, it’s likely we’d see a decrease in price.
The manufacturing costs would be able to go down due to higher demand, making it more worthwhile for manufacturers to bulk-buy the parts needed to create this type of range.
What is a Drop In range?
A drop in range oven is customized according to cabinetry. Drop in ranges sit above matching cabinets and give built-in look. The control panel is on the front of the range, which can be concerning if you have kids at home. Drop in ranges are one of the most expensive stoves range and installation charges are expensive.
Slide In vs Drop In Ranges
The main difference between Slide-in vs Drop in Ranges is that the Slide In usually has a built-in bottom drawer below the oven for storage. Whereas, Drop in doesn’t have any cookware storage drawer.
Drop in stove requires customized cabinetry. Whereas, Slide In installation requires two base cabinets. Also, Drop In is costlier than Slide In.
So, why are slide in ranges so expensive? Well, If you already have a freestanding or slide-in range in your kitchen and aren’t going for a full redesign, you might want to consider sticking with the same type.
The main reason for this is due to size and configuration.
Usually, a freestanding range will fill the entire space between your cabinets, whereas a slide-in range pushed all the way back will leave roughly two inches of space behind the range.
This means that if you’re swapping a freestanding for a slide in, you’ll need a back filler to avoid an unsightly gap.
Conversely, if you’re swapping your slide-in for a freestanding model, you might need to take out any countertop or filler before you install your new stove.
You’re also going to want to consider the walls behind your stove when swapping one type of range for the other.
While freestanding ranges come with a built-in backsplash, the same is not true of their slide-in cousins.
If you don’t already have a suitable tile backsplash behind your countertop, you’re going to want to deal with this before installing your new slide-in range.
- Upped The Game: The Gokart Pro Comes With A Top Speed Of 23 Mph And 15.5 Miles Range Within One Single Charge. Included Ninebot S Max, You Can Easily Assemble And Detach The Gokart Pro And Experience The Fun Of Self-Balancing Scooter.
- Drift Like A Pro: The Gokart Pro Has An Rr Design, The Rear Engine And The Rear-Wheel-Drive Are Set Up Like Supercars. Equipped With 4,800W Max Engine Power And 96N Max Torque. This Allows Segway Gokart Pro To Sprint From 0 To 23 Mph Within Seconds.
- Keep Your Safe: The Ninebot Gokart Pro Comes With A High-Strength Steel Frame That Can Carry A Payload Of Up To 220 Lbs And Max Slope Of 15°. Triple Anti-Collision Protection And Dual Communication Technology To Increase The Safety Of The Rider.
- Fun For All Ages: The Adjustable Frame Length And Steering Wheel Height Can Accommodate Riders From 4'5" To 6'3". Gokart Pro Features Four Driving Modes. It'S Collapsible To Fit Into Most Vehicle Trunks, Allowing You To Take It Wherever You Want To Go!
- Assurance: Download The Segway App To Control Four Driving Modes, Adjust The Drifting Assistant Level, Control The Light Effect, And Much More. Please Refer To Assurance Information In The Product Details Below And Contact Us If You Have Any Problems.
- Vegan, Non-GMO, Gluten-free & Gelatin-free: Each bottle of Goli contains 60 delicious, vegan, non-gmo, gluten-free & gelatin-free Apple Cider Vinegar gummies, which makes them suitable for almost any lifestyle.
- Made in the USA with locally and globally sourced ingredients. Goli Gummies are made in allergen-free, cGMP certified facilities in the United States with local and globally sourced ingredients to ensure that our products are reputable and of the highest quality standards.
- Patented Formula, Essential Vitamins, Great Taste: Our patented formula contains essential Vitamins B9 and B12 to help support cellular energy production, immune function, heart health, healthy nutrient metabolism, a healthy nervous system and overall health and wellbeing. Apple Cider Vinegar has traditionally been used for digestion, gut health and appetite. Our unique flavor profile combined with essential vitamins makes Goli ACV Gummies a delicious addition to your daily health routine.
- Vitamin Angels: Goli is a proud supporter of Vitamin Angels
- MULTI-SURFACE USE: Safe to use on all floor types including hardwood, vinyl, laminate and tile
- 50% MORE DIRT PICKUP: Microfiber cleaning pad picks up 50% more dirt and dust per swipe than traditional mops
- WON'T HARM SURFACES: Non-scratch scrubber for stubborn spots
- REFILLABLE BOTTLE: 22 ounce refillable bottle allows you to mix your own solution
- EASY TO USE: Simply fill the bottle with hot water and two teaspoons of your favorite cleaning solution and you’re ready to mop
- Revolutionary Upgrade of Electric Scooters: With powerful 350W motor, Segway MAX G30P reaches to 18.6 mph and up to 40miles and max load of 220 lbs. Strives to reach new heights of performance.
- Eco-friendly and energy efficient. Easy maneuvering and storage with a total weight of 38.6 lbs and one-click folding system.
- Upgrade Riding Experience: The mechanical and electrical Anti-Lock braking system and Front and rear wheel shock absorbers equipped with 10'' self-healing tubeless self-sealing tireensure ensure braking safety and comfort.
- Innovative & Superior Technology: With the LED display, bluetooth capabilities, cruise control, select riding modes and mobile app connectivity for additional security, firmware updates and more.
- Quality Assurance: One-year or 180-day warranty for different parts, please refer to warranty information in product details below.
- 【Premium Material】Boston clog's upper is made of high-quality imitation cowhide fabric, and the sole is made of EVA material. Soft and slip-resistant. Arizona delano slip on shoes are designed to provide a comfortable, safe, and non-tiring walking environment.
- 【Cork insole】Cork clogs is made of natural cork insole, which can effectively disperse the pressure on the foot and make the foot evenly stressed. Provides optimal support for your feet and makes Poseeruiz walking easier.
- 【Dropped Sole】Boston footbed clogs are ergonomically designed, using sunken sole with adjustable metal buckles. Strong grasping force, perfectly wraps your feet, not easy to fall off when walking, making your walking more comfortable.
- 【Multi-purpose】Clogs can be worn indoors or for various outdoor activities, such as playing with children, cooking in the kitchen, picking up mail, drinking afternoon tea in the courtyard, watering the lawn, throwing garbage, going out to sign packages, or walking, etc.
- 【Boston clogs never go out of style! 】Stylish and classic boston clogs are a fashion favorite for all times. The versatile boston clog can be worn by both men and women. Whether it is paired with trousers or skirts, there are different styles and beauty. The beloved shoes are also a great gift option.
Long time supporter, and thought I’d drop a comment.
Your wordpress site is very sleek – hope you don’t mind me asking what theme you’re using?
(and don’t mind if I steal it? :P)
I just launched my site –also built in wordpress like yours– but the theme slows (!) the site down quite a bit.
In case you have a minute, you can find it by searching for “royal cbd” on Google (would appreciate
any feedback) – it’s still in the works.
Keep up the good work– and hope you all take care of yourself during the coronavirus scare!Reply