Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive?
A popular question we get asked is “Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive Than a Freestanding Stove”?
Whether you’ve brought a brand new house or it’s just time to update your tired kitchen, there is a whole range of considerations you need to take into account to create the space that’s just right for you.
One major factor to consider is the type of range you need.
Should you go for a freestanding range, drop in range or slide-in range?
Why are slide in ranges more expensive than a freestanding model?
To answer this question, it’s worth getting to grips with the differences between these types of ranges first.
In that way, you can make a well-informed decision on what you want and need for your kitchen.
What Is a Freestanding Range?
When you picture a typical range, the likelihood is that you see a freestanding range.
These types of stoves are found in most kitchens and feature two finished sides, so they can easily be installed between your cabinets, at the end of your counter, or simply standing on their own.
They also come with a built-in backsplash to protect your walls with the stove controls on the back.
What Is a Slide-in Range?
Slide-in ranges are carefully designed to sit flush between your cabinets and don’t feature a backsplash.
Because they’re meant to be in the middle of your countertop, they don’t have finished sides, so they won’t look good standing alone or at the edge of your counter.
The controls for this type of range are typically on the front or top, which means that you don’t need to worry about reaching over your hot stove to adjust the settings.
They are also slightly wider at the top, designed to overlap your countertop and make clean-up easy since you don’t need to worry about food spilling down the gap between your range and the counter.
What is the difference between slide in and freestanding ranges?
In terms of functionality, there are few differences between slide-in and freestanding ranges to influence your decision. When deciding between a slide in range vs freestanding, you must consider the need, kitchen layout, and fuel source.
Both types have options for gas, electric, dual-fuel, and induction configurations, so no matter how you prefer to cook, you should be able to find a range suitable for you.
They also usually have similar features and installations, and two of the different types of ranges of the same size should offer a similar amount of oven space, number of hobs, and a variety of available settings to allow you to cook delicious dishes regardless of which option you choose.
Benefits of Using a Slide-in Range
The main benefit of a slide-in range that most people consider is the stylish, smooth integration of the range in between your cabinets, making it a sleek addition to any kitchen.
The removal of often bulky backsplashes also allows you to showcase your own unique backsplash and keeps your kitchen looking its best.
This also means that you have quite a bit of freedom in the placement of your slide-in range.
As long as it’s in the middle of your cabinets, then it’s good to go; it doesn’t necessarily need to be placed against a wall to look great.
If you want a range to sit nicely in the middle of your kitchen island, for example, a slide-in is the only way to go.
The other main benefit is the sophisticated design of the slide-in that makes clean-up simple.
With a slightly wider top, the slide-in range is designed to overlap your countertops so that you can simply wipe away any mess the same way you would with the rest of your counters.
This doesn’t just make things easier for you but also helps you avoid any nasty smells from food that’s fallen down gaps and been forgotten about.
What’s more, the controls on a slide-in range are much more easily accessible, without the need to reach over your hob to turn anything up, down, or off.
With all your controls easily placed by the front of your stove, you’ll find quickly changing settings far easier than with a conventional freestanding range.
That said, some people do express concerns over the placement of the controls on a slide-in range, questioning whether they’re safe for children, particularly on stoves with the knobs on the front of the range.
In answer to this, slide-in ranges undergo strict safety tests to ensure any controls are totally safe for all users and won’t switch on when someone simply brushes past.
They’re also much safer for general use, as by having the controls at the front of the range rather than the back, you won’t need to lean over any hot parts when cooking.
Benefits of Using a Freestanding Range
Although there are many benefits of getting a slide-in range, it’s certainly not to say freestanding ranges aren’t without their positives!
One big benefit to a freestanding range over the slide-in is location.
While a slide-in is designed to fit seamlessly into the middle of your kitchen counters, a freestanding gives you almost total freedom as to where you want to place it, thanks to having two finished sides.
This means that you could put it at the end of your bench, in the middle of your countertops, or have it totally free standing away from your other cabinets.
The only place a freestanding range isn’t ideal for is in a kitchen island due to the integrated splashback, which means it’s best placed against a wall.
This brings us nicely onto the second benefit of a freestanding range: the splashback.
Although an inbuilt splashback might not be the sleekest of designs, having this as part of your range can save stress, especially if your kitchen is not designed with heat, water, and general mess-proof walls, and you don’t want the hassle of installing tiles behind your stove.
Finally, a freestanding range is also often easier to install, as most come with a nice and easy plug-and-go ability.
With one, you simply need to choose where to put it, plug it in, and you’ll be cooking away.
They’re also generally around 10% to 15% cheaper than a slide-in range, which is one of the major reasons they’re so much more popular in most standard kitchens.
Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive Than a Freestanding Stove?
So, both ranges clearly offer a lot to different types of kitchen, and based on the features alone, you probably have an idea of which type would be right for you, but why are slide in ranges more expensive?
As mentioned, slide-in ranges can be up to 15% more expensive than a freestanding model with the same specs.
There are a few reasons for this, but the biggest one comes down to engineering.
Placing the electronics and controls immediately above or in front of the oven, rather than above and behind, means that additional complexity and care was needed during the design and engineering stage to keep these electronics cool.
This naturally takes more time and precision, which adds on to the price and value of this type of range.
Supply and demand also come into establishing why slide-in ranges are more expensive than freestanding.
The sleeker look often appeals to those on a bigger budget, which means that slide-in ranges are, to an extent, priced higher by those who are willing to pay extra for a nicer finish.
The popularity of freestanding ranges also means that the parts and engineering of these types of ranges can be sourced much more cheaply, with the savings going on to the consumer.
Should the slide-in range increase in popularity even more, it’s likely we’d see a decrease in price.
The manufacturing costs would be able to go down due to higher demand, making it more worthwhile for manufacturers to bulk-buy the parts needed to create this type of range.
What is a Drop In range?
A drop in range oven is customized according to cabinetry. Drop in ranges sit above matching cabinets and give built-in look. The control panel is on the front of the range, which can be concerning if you have kids at home. Drop in ranges are one of the most expensive stoves range and installation charges are expensive.
Slide In vs Drop In Ranges
The main difference between Slide-in vs Drop in Ranges is that the Slide In usually has a built-in bottom drawer below the oven for storage. Whereas, Drop in doesn’t have any cookware storage drawer.
Drop in stove requires customized cabinetry. Whereas, Slide In installation requires two base cabinets. Also, Drop In is costlier than Slide In.
So, why are slide in ranges so expensive? Well, If you already have a freestanding or slide-in range in your kitchen and aren’t going for a full redesign, you might want to consider sticking with the same type.
The main reason for this is due to size and configuration.
Usually, a freestanding range will fill the entire space between your cabinets, whereas a slide-in range pushed all the way back will leave roughly two inches of space behind the range.
This means that if you’re swapping a freestanding for a slide in, you’ll need a back filler to avoid an unsightly gap.
Conversely, if you’re swapping your slide-in for a freestanding model, you might need to take out any countertop or filler before you install your new stove.
You’re also going to want to consider the walls behind your stove when swapping one type of range for the other.
While freestanding ranges come with a built-in backsplash, the same is not true of their slide-in cousins.
If you don’t already have a suitable tile backsplash behind your countertop, you’re going to want to deal with this before installing your new slide-in range.
- [Sturdy Metal] The support capacity of the all metal microphone arm stand can reach 1.5kg/3.3lbs, providing stability for your podcast microphone.
- [Low Profile] The arm stand can extend from the bottom of your computer screen. The mic stand saves more space in a unobstructing view.
- [Cable Management] The boom stand is equipped with cable managements in hiddenness to organize your microphone cables. Neat arrangement of cable will not cause excessive pulling or resulting in unexpected use.
- [Fully Adjustment] Suspension arm stand can be extended to 29 inches, suitable for your long large office desktop. The boom arm can be adjusted up to down by 220 degrees, and horizontally by 360 degrees. More angle adjustments provide more usage options.
- [Screw Adapter] Coming with three kinds of threads size, 1/4’’, 3/8’’, 5/8’’, the microphone boom arm solves the hassle of choosing additional adapters. You can easily and quickly install and use microphones, shock mounts, cameras, etc with the mic stand.
- MULTIPLE COLORS & MULTIPLE CHOICES - 4 packs facial headbands in different colors are included in the package, pea green, pink, beige and light gray, you can choose any colored headbands for different uses or occasions, which is very convenient for your daily replacement.
- SUPERIOR MATERIAL - Made of high-quality coral fleece, which makes our headbands soft, skin-friendly, and much more absorbent to the water and sweat. Top quality material guarantees their durability and comfort, which can be repeatedly washed without losing its shape.
- ADJUSTABLE - Our spa headbands can be easily adjusted to the proper size you want, the size adjustment range fits for most head , leaving your hair and scalp free of stress and pain.
- MEASUREMENT - Each facial headbands is 25.59" x 3.14", one size fits most. Light weight and easy to carry, great for travel.
- WIDELY USED FOR - Washing face, taking a bath or making up, keeping your hair out of your face. A great product for spa business and some sports activities, like Yoga and running, keeping your face neat all the time.
- Size & style: Ergonomic lightweight mouse for gaming. Built for speed, control, and comfort, with optimal weight and high durability. Ideal for Medium and Large hands.
- Ultra Flexible Cable: Our 'Ascended' Paracord is so light it produces drag-free use. The ultimate wired mouse with the feel of a wireless gaming mouse.
- Mouse Feet: The Glorious Skates are 100% pure Virgin PTFE that will glide like blades on ice, giving you perfect control even at the highest speeds.
- Optimized for competitive gaming: Pixel perfect tracking, zero mouse acceleration, no more spinouts, 1000 Hz polling rate, less than 0.7mm lift-off distance. Click/scroll speed, 6 buttons with macro support, and more.
- A Model for every hand: The Model D is an ambidextrous mouse for Medium to Large hands that use Claw, Fingertip, or Palm grip. The Model D- is for the same gripstyles, but Medium and small hands. The Model D is an ergonomic mouse, for Medium to Large hands, mostly suited for Palm or Claw grip, due to a higher midsection. The Model D- is for Medium to Small hands, mostly suited for Palm or Claw grip.
- Multifunctional Presentation Remote - ①PPT clicker default settings: Page Up/Down, Full/Black Screen, Hyperlink, Volume Control, Switch Windows. ②Besides, pointer presenter supports key-customized function, each button can be set to Media Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Volume Mute, F5, Esc, Alt+F4 etc.
- Humanized Design - ①The silicone buttons are vulcanized and upgraded, more durable and not easy to damage. ②A bright orange button that stands out, easily let you locate the l*ser button. ③A big bump on the Page Down key can prevent you pressing wrong buttons. ④One-piece design, the mini USB receiver stores in presenter tail with a magnet system.
- Long Control Range & Bright - ①Wireless pointer is equipped with top-grade microchip to ensure a real 100M/ 330FT control distance, Red Light Distance: up to 200M/ 660FT. ②Presenter clicker produces a bright red light that's easy to see against most background (Not Recommended for LCD/LED/TV Screens)
- Wide Compatibility - Computer clicker supports systems: Windows, Mac OS, Linux, Android(For MacBook on OS, plug the usb receiver into the laptop and a box will pop up to select 101 or 104 option).
- What You Get - 1x Presenter Remote, 1x USB Receiver, 1x Gift Pouch, 1x User Manual
- 【Brushless Motor】This is a brushless rc buggy with all new designs and features, powered by a 4200kv 2845 brushless motor.Plugging in the 2S batteries come in the box can still hit the top speed at 28mph (45khp).
- 【Potential & Upgradeable】 This is a perfect powerful super fast RC car, which tops up the vehicle speed around 42mph (68khp) with a 3S 11.1V LiPo battery. (Rechargeable 3S LiPo Batteries and more upgrade remote racing car parts accessories are available in our store) Thanks to its hardcore design & performance and ease of use, jetwood rc racing cars are suitable for both beginners and advanced players.
- 【Excellent Radio Controlled Car】Our Pistol Grip transmitter is equipped with a quick response 2.4Ghz 3CH system and 3 control modes to accurate your driving experience. Over 390ft long distance control and imperceptible low latency allow you to race your off road rc car alongside others without any interference. Throttle response, power output, steering servo can all be fine-tuned. A 70% throttle limited function is introduced to this new transmitter for beginners or kids.
- 【Unique Design & DIY Ability】Unique & rich-detailed design and DIY ability make the hobby rc cars so recognizable among others. A high-quality PVC transparent motorized Remote Control car come in the box for your DIY need, like painting or spraying. Cool car shell body and chassis stickers help individualizing your RC into next level. These all bring greater fun to play. Perfect Gifts for Adults Boys and Kids.
- 【Solid Built & Metal Parts】This Remote Control Truck is perfect for all Terrain.Honeycomb chassis with improved material formula sets up a durable foundation to overcome impact, twist and vibration. Massive metal parts are used to reduce power loss and increase durability, such as ball bearings, F/R zinc bumper, alloy CVD shafts and metal big gears. Metal differential assembly withstands huge 20.5N cm torque to better distribute power. Batteries are also packed with flame-retardant hard cases to ensure safety.