Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive?
A popular question we get asked is “Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive Than a Freestanding Stove”?
Whether you’ve brought a brand new house or it’s just time to update your tired kitchen, there is a whole range of considerations you need to take into account to create the space that’s just right for you.
One major factor to consider is the type of range you need.
Should you go for a freestanding range, drop in range or slide-in range?
Why are slide in ranges more expensive than a freestanding model?
To answer this question, it’s worth getting to grips with the differences between these types of ranges first.
In that way, you can make a well-informed decision on what you want and need for your kitchen.
What Is a Freestanding Range?
When you picture a typical range, the likelihood is that you see a freestanding range.
These types of stoves are found in most kitchens and feature two finished sides, so they can easily be installed between your cabinets, at the end of your counter, or simply standing on their own.
They also come with a built-in backsplash to protect your walls with the stove controls on the back.
What Is a Slide-in Range?
Slide-in ranges are carefully designed to sit flush between your cabinets and don’t feature a backsplash.
Because they’re meant to be in the middle of your countertop, they don’t have finished sides, so they won’t look good standing alone or at the edge of your counter.
The controls for this type of range are typically on the front or top, which means that you don’t need to worry about reaching over your hot stove to adjust the settings.
They are also slightly wider at the top, designed to overlap your countertop and make clean-up easy since you don’t need to worry about food spilling down the gap between your range and the counter.
What is the difference between slide in and freestanding ranges?
In terms of functionality, there are few differences between slide-in and freestanding ranges to influence your decision. When deciding between a slide in range vs freestanding, you must consider the need, kitchen layout, and fuel source.
Both types have options for gas, electric, dual-fuel, and induction configurations, so no matter how you prefer to cook, you should be able to find a range suitable for you.
They also usually have similar features and installations, and two of the different types of ranges of the same size should offer a similar amount of oven space, number of hobs, and a variety of available settings to allow you to cook delicious dishes regardless of which option you choose.
Benefits of Using a Slide-in Range
The main benefit of a slide-in range that most people consider is the stylish, smooth integration of the range in between your cabinets, making it a sleek addition to any kitchen.
The removal of often bulky backsplashes also allows you to showcase your own unique backsplash and keeps your kitchen looking its best.
This also means that you have quite a bit of freedom in the placement of your slide-in range.
As long as it’s in the middle of your cabinets, then it’s good to go; it doesn’t necessarily need to be placed against a wall to look great.
If you want a range to sit nicely in the middle of your kitchen island, for example, a slide-in is the only way to go.
The other main benefit is the sophisticated design of the slide-in that makes clean-up simple.
With a slightly wider top, the slide-in range is designed to overlap your countertops so that you can simply wipe away any mess the same way you would with the rest of your counters.
This doesn’t just make things easier for you but also helps you avoid any nasty smells from food that’s fallen down gaps and been forgotten about.
What’s more, the controls on a slide-in range are much more easily accessible, without the need to reach over your hob to turn anything up, down, or off.
With all your controls easily placed by the front of your stove, you’ll find quickly changing settings far easier than with a conventional freestanding range.
That said, some people do express concerns over the placement of the controls on a slide-in range, questioning whether they’re safe for children, particularly on stoves with the knobs on the front of the range.
In answer to this, slide-in ranges undergo strict safety tests to ensure any controls are totally safe for all users and won’t switch on when someone simply brushes past.
They’re also much safer for general use, as by having the controls at the front of the range rather than the back, you won’t need to lean over any hot parts when cooking.
Benefits of Using a Freestanding Range
Although there are many benefits of getting a slide-in range, it’s certainly not to say freestanding ranges aren’t without their positives!
One big benefit to a freestanding range over the slide-in is location.
While a slide-in is designed to fit seamlessly into the middle of your kitchen counters, a freestanding gives you almost total freedom as to where you want to place it, thanks to having two finished sides.
This means that you could put it at the end of your bench, in the middle of your countertops, or have it totally free standing away from your other cabinets.
The only place a freestanding range isn’t ideal for is in a kitchen island due to the integrated splashback, which means it’s best placed against a wall.
This brings us nicely onto the second benefit of a freestanding range: the splashback.
Although an inbuilt splashback might not be the sleekest of designs, having this as part of your range can save stress, especially if your kitchen is not designed with heat, water, and general mess-proof walls, and you don’t want the hassle of installing tiles behind your stove.
Finally, a freestanding range is also often easier to install, as most come with a nice and easy plug-and-go ability.
With one, you simply need to choose where to put it, plug it in, and you’ll be cooking away.
They’re also generally around 10% to 15% cheaper than a slide-in range, which is one of the major reasons they’re so much more popular in most standard kitchens.
Why Are Slide In Ranges More Expensive Than a Freestanding Stove?
So, both ranges clearly offer a lot to different types of kitchen, and based on the features alone, you probably have an idea of which type would be right for you, but why are slide in ranges more expensive?
As mentioned, slide-in ranges can be up to 15% more expensive than a freestanding model with the same specs.
There are a few reasons for this, but the biggest one comes down to engineering.
Placing the electronics and controls immediately above or in front of the oven, rather than above and behind, means that additional complexity and care was needed during the design and engineering stage to keep these electronics cool.
This naturally takes more time and precision, which adds on to the price and value of this type of range.
Supply and demand also come into establishing why slide-in ranges are more expensive than freestanding.
The sleeker look often appeals to those on a bigger budget, which means that slide-in ranges are, to an extent, priced higher by those who are willing to pay extra for a nicer finish.
The popularity of freestanding ranges also means that the parts and engineering of these types of ranges can be sourced much more cheaply, with the savings going on to the consumer.
Should the slide-in range increase in popularity even more, it’s likely we’d see a decrease in price.
The manufacturing costs would be able to go down due to higher demand, making it more worthwhile for manufacturers to bulk-buy the parts needed to create this type of range.
What is a Drop In range?
A drop in range oven is customized according to cabinetry. Drop in ranges sit above matching cabinets and give built-in look. The control panel is on the front of the range, which can be concerning if you have kids at home. Drop in ranges are one of the most expensive stoves range and installation charges are expensive.
Slide In vs Drop In Ranges
The main difference between Slide-in vs Drop in Ranges is that the Slide In usually has a built-in bottom drawer below the oven for storage. Whereas, Drop in doesn’t have any cookware storage drawer.
Drop in stove requires customized cabinetry. Whereas, Slide In installation requires two base cabinets. Also, Drop In is costlier than Slide In.
So, why are slide in ranges so expensive? Well, If you already have a freestanding or slide-in range in your kitchen and aren’t going for a full redesign, you might want to consider sticking with the same type.
The main reason for this is due to size and configuration.
Usually, a freestanding range will fill the entire space between your cabinets, whereas a slide-in range pushed all the way back will leave roughly two inches of space behind the range.
This means that if you’re swapping a freestanding for a slide in, you’ll need a back filler to avoid an unsightly gap.
Conversely, if you’re swapping your slide-in for a freestanding model, you might need to take out any countertop or filler before you install your new stove.
You’re also going to want to consider the walls behind your stove when swapping one type of range for the other.
While freestanding ranges come with a built-in backsplash, the same is not true of their slide-in cousins.
If you don’t already have a suitable tile backsplash behind your countertop, you’re going to want to deal with this before installing your new slide-in range.
- 40,000 VPM Smart Toothbrush – Beauty, brains and power. The Black Series is a world class modern electric toothbrush packed with the most up to date technology. It features an ultra-powerful and industry leading motor producing 40,000 vibrations per minute , lithium-ion battery, ultra-fast wireless charging, 4 mode operation, smart vibration timers, 8 DuPont engineered brush heads and bristles, and a custom travel case; all with a sleek ultra-slim, lightweight and IPX7 rated waterproof design.
- Accepted by the American Dental Association (ADA) Council on Scientific Affairs – We put our money where your mouth is. Investing in premium oral care technologies has earned the Black Series the prestigious ADA seal of approval. It has shown efficacy in removing plaque and helping to prevent and reduce gingivitis. Black Series goes beyond just cleaning teeth – it provides complete oral care with unique modes that include one for whitening and polishing teeth and one for improving gum health.
- 8 DuPont Brush Heads & Travel Case Included - Every Black Series toothbrush comes with 8 brush heads engineered by world famous DuPont; a world leader in quality & materials science. Each brush head lasts 4 months so 8 will last for over 2.5 years. Also included is a convenient custom hard shell travel case made of BPA Free plastic with space for two brush heads. AquaSonic can last 4 full weeks (2 min/2x a day) on a full charge so it's perfect for on the go travel with the included travel case
- Modern Tech for a Healthy Smile - Black Series brings toothbrushes into modern times with its built in enhanced features. A lithium-ion battery, ultra fast wireless charging (forget outdated USB charging), 4 distinct brushing modes and a smart vibrating notification timer are some of the enhanced features built in to the sleek and ergonomic waterproof black satin handle
- What's in the Box - 1 AquaSonic Black Series Smart Toothbrush, 1 wireless charging base, 8 DuPont Brush Heads, 1 Travel Case, Instruction and Support Contact Manuals
- Flashing Buzzer with x5 different Bullshit sound effects and light which will be audible by the press of this button.
- Dimensions: Diameter: 7.5cm, Height: 5.5cm: Required Batteries: x2AAA (already included): Power supply
- ge recommendation: For ages +3: Content:
- Comes with an additional sticky tape velcro fastener for fixing.
- Help support your dog’s liver and gut health: Undigested food can stress your dog’s pancreas and endocrine organs, especially among senior dogs, dogs who eat cooked food and those that have chronic digestive or pancreatic issues. But with Digest, you can help them process their food properly so they can absorb the maximum nutritional value in a safe and easy way.
- Made from organic, whole-food-based enzymes: Digest contains grass-fed, New Zealand bovine pancreas, a rich and pure source of protease, amylase, lipase and trypsin. It also has organic broccoli sprout powder, which is naturally rich in sulforaphane – a powerful antioxidant that supports liver detox pathways.
- Rich in soil-based probiotics: These natural probiotics are much hardier than the conventional kind, creating the ideal environment for good gut flora to thrive and resulting in better nutritional absorption.
- Why choose our nutraceuticals for your dog: Unlike most pet products with hidden ingredients, ours are made from whole foods. We believe that every dog should be able to enjoy fresh, organic products with absolutely no fillers, additives, or ingredients from questionable sources.
- Your dog’s health and satisfaction are our priority: We stand behind our products 100%. If for any reason you're not completely satisfied, we offer a 30-day, full product refund. No questions. No hassles. Just let us know.
- ✔️ COVER THAT GAP - America’s best-selling stove gap covers help you say goodbye to that hard to clean gunk and debris that gets stuck in the gap between your stove and countertop, or any other appliances in your household
- ✔️ HEAT RESISTANT - Put your safety first and mind at ease with our top-rated, superior quality gap covers. With our 2021 newly improved and upgraded food-grade silicone material, you can rest assured that you’re purchasing quality, unlike the outdated and unsafe alternatives available
- ✔️ SIMPLE TO INSTALL - Our universal 21 inch gap covers sit perfectly in place on all stovetops. The non-slip flexible silicone conforms to your stove and counter surfaces and adapts to any uneven spaces. Easily customize to your stove by cutting to size using scissors
- ✔️ EASY TO CLEAN - Our matte black anti-dust and smudge resistant design makes us unrivalled in the market, allowing you to keep your gap cover clean and stain free. Our stove gap fillers are dishwasher safe and easy to wipe clean using a damp cloth
- ✔️ THE ONLY GAP COVER YOU WILL EVER NEED - We are so confident you will love our gap covers that if you do have any issues, you can reach out to us and we will provide you with a new set immediately, or alternatively, a hassle free full refund
- BEFORE YOU DROP A BOMB, DROP A DUDE BOMB: When you use the all mighty DUDE Bombs, you can literally walk around like your poop don't stank. Just drop one in the toilet before you sit down, let it rip, and enjoy your deuce with confidence
- 2-IN-1: DUDE Bomb's odor destroying ingredients create an indestructible barrier that instantly freshens the air and your toilet bowl. 1 sweet little bomb with 2 awesome benefits, now that's some American innovation. So go ahead with your bad self while our bombs neutralize stank in the air and leave no trace of the crime
- REFRESHING SCENT BLAST: Each bomb is made with a refreshing blend of fragrance oils that radiate lavender, cedar, lime, and eucalyptus in your bathroom. DUDE Bombs clean & freshen the toilet bowl while destroying all evidence of your poo dumps
- NO MORE EMBARRASSING DUMPS: Say no to second hand stank and leave the throne smelling better than you found it. Gone are the days of those smelly embarrassing bathroom exits
- FROM THE CREATORS OF DUDE WIPES: With billions of DUDE Wipes sold, we promise you we know our way room around the toilet. So join us as the revolution continues with DUDE Bombs, you'll have never felt so fresh after that morning coffee